I think this is my favorite month yet, from both last year and this year. I love how it all came together. I love the color mint and last year I decided I wanted to use mint for the St Patrick’s decor, but I didn’t get very far. I found the glass ornaments for 80% off after Christmas last year and used them as a starting point. I tied on some fishing line and then hung them across the top of the mantle and mirror. I recently discovered Jadeite and immediately fell in love with it, and it fit perfectly with the mint theme I was looking for.
I saw this shelf/hutch thing, whatever you want to call it, on Pinterest and loved it; I knew I wanted to make one for myself. I went to the salvage yard looking for a cool window to use, but they were all broken and dirty and moldy, so I decided to just try and make up one myself. I have realized I have a hard time with some repurposing, I have a strong aversion to cleaning up certain things and often prefer to buy the raw materials for what I want and to make it look “rustic”. I know, I know, it is funny to some people (and by some people I pretty much just mean men) to take something new and make it look old, but what can I say, I like the look but I like clean things. I ended up using some trim and sort of created a window look. I assumed it wasn’t going to be easy to create the whole thing from scratch, but it was difficult in different ways than I expected. I made a set of shelves and then nailed the bead board and trim onto it. Then I stained it, applied some Vaseline in certain spots then painted it all in white. Once the paint was dry I scraped off the paint in the areas where the Vaseline was, to get the aged look. I am really happy with how it turned out.
I have been collecting the jadeite and other mint and green items since the beginning of January from various stores and websites, and I already had a couple of items. I especially love the Jadeite cake plates and teacup. I made the 17 block (for St. Patrick’s day being on the 17th of March) with some metal house numbers from Home Depot that I spray painted gold and attached to a block of wood that I painted white.
I made a couple of different prints in Illustrator that I put in the white frames. And I put some gold washi tape on the candle and clear vases. For the shamrock on the left I cut the shamrock out of bead board and painted it gold and then glued it to a piece of square plywood that I painted mint.
The wood shamrock garland was a really easy project that I love. I got some mini wooden hearts on sale at Micheal’s and Joann’s after Valentine’s day and I painted them in sets of 4 in ombre mint. Then I took some precut and drilled wood plaques from Michael’s and painted them gold and glued the hearts to them and strung the gold ribbon through it. I got it all done in 2 episodes of “Call the Midwives” (which I LOVE even if I cry every. single. episode!)
This lucky nail/string board may be one of my favorite projects yet. This picture from Pinterest was the inspiration, but I knew I wanted something for St. Patrick’s days so I chose to use the word Lucky instead, and I wanted to add the painted shamrock as well. That meant that I had to change how I strung the embroidery floss because I didn’t want it to cover the shamrock. I seriously love it. The books underneath it are a Christmas gift from my little sister. It is a 2 volume set of fairy tales that both me and my 2 sisters read growing up. So perfect that they happen to be mint colored.
And the other cake plate that I love.
For the piano I placed a bunch of bottles and vases in a rainbow, which I think is so fun. I already had a lot of these, but back in early January I pulled them out and then have been searching stores and the internet to fill in the gaps I was missing.
The rainbow bead board was a project I made last year and one that I had been planning for years. I slowly collected the beads, buttons, glass and little odds and ends for a few years before I had enough to fill the board. Then I painted the wood and super glued them all on, after many practice placements.
I am very happy with how the centerpiece turned out too. I had a different arrangement when I first put everything out that I pretty much hated. I played around with some different options trying to find something I liked. I had a spare piece of 3/4″ plywood lying around and I tried it underneath the square glass vases and really liked that, so I decided to make a small wood “table runner” to go underneath them. I added some slats of wood on top of the plywood in a herringbone pattern, then cut some pieces of 1/2″ thick board to go around it and create a frame. I sanded the whole thing once it was all glued together to make it nice and even and painted it mint green. It was a bit too bright for my liking, so I did a few washes of white and light brown over the green.